Thursday, August 05, 2010

Giving a Little Thanks...


What am I thankful for?


Well, this morning as I sat at my kitchen table listening to my wonderful husband read something that he had written, I felt the cool breeze coming in through the window and I thought at that moment, "I'm so thankful that we don't have air conditioning throughout our house." What?!?! This thought even suprised me! This is a crazy thought. But, I am....I am thankful, most days anyways, that my windows and doors are open to let in the fresh air. Yes...fresh air...even though we live in India, there is fresh air in the some places. I am thankful for the river that runs by my house, the sound it makes, the cooler breeze it brings, and the people it attracts. I am thankful for my awesome yard --which is a rare thing to have in India. My yard has a sand box, a basketball court, a swing, a slide, a little "playhouse", lush green grass, and beautiful fruit trees (mango, banana, coconut, litchi, and palmello)---all this provides hours of entertainment for my children, and a place of peace and relaxation for Nathan and I, and a venue to entertain our many guests and their children.


I am thankful for my gardner, Nelson, who helps with so many more things than just the yard. He is also entertainment for the kids, he buys my vegetables and meat, he burns my yucky trash and runs to the neighborhood store when I run out of milk or eggs in the middle of baking something.



Nelson entertaining the kids.


I am thankful for Apee, my sweet and precious house helper. She looooves my children and watches them whenever I need her to. She takes care of them accourding to "our way" and not according to her way...this makes me soo very thankful. She also makes the best tortillas, chocolate cake, and banana bread in India. She and her family seem to keep my family in order...they are WONDERFUL and with out them I'm not sure what I would do!

Apee and Sammy hanging out on the porch


I am thankful for my awesome friends...near and far. These are sisters in Christ who challenge me to be a better wife, mom and woman. My near friends, Susan and Emily, are new to me this year -- they challenge me and make me laugh, a lot! They are awesome! My not-so-far friends, Shanee and Kristin, always seem to be on the same page as me. We discuss life in depth when we are together--we are not together very often, and honestly we're not all that great about keeping in touch, BUT that's what great friends do...they pick up right where they left off, no matter how long ago your last conversation was. They are life long friends. My farther away friends are either in the States or in cyberspace. My friend Polly is from my home church, she is a mom walking the same road as me...our discussions about children and husbands are always candid and interesting. She is an AWESOME mom and challenges me so very much. My cyberspace friends are friends that I've met only a few times face to face or that I have been through orientation to come overseas with. I give thanks to these ladies (Jessica C. (http://makinghome.blogspot.com/), Kara D.( http://www.makinghome.blogspot.com/), Shannon B.(http://seekingtoglorify.blogspot.com/) , and Brooke T (http://toomanybs.blogspot.com/) because they are people who, through e-mails and blogs, bring a balance and perspective to my life. I need that! Thanks ladies!




Me and my friend, Polly.


I am thankful for my great in-laws...which if it didn't sound so cheesy I would reference them as my in-loves (as one seminary president wife refers to hers). I have amazing sister in-laws. Amber, Kara and Christine. My husband's parents each have wisdom to bring to our life, they are each amazing godly people and they each support us in what the Lord has called us to today. His grandparents are also so very amazing because they have amazing walks with the Lord, they have increadible history serving Him, they love us so very much...they are so very incredible.



Great Grandpa Bob and Hannah (I don't have a pic of G'ma Shank, Grandpa Bob and Grandma Rhonda...but, they are all sooo amazing...I need a picture of them!!)


Grandma Beth and Papa Steve.


Aunt Kara and Aunt Christine. (I wish I had a picture of Uncle Stephen...b/c he's a pretty great brother-in-law and uncle too!)


I am thankful for my family. They are hometown people who are in love with the Lord. They are people who, over the past 10 years, have been changed in a radical way. They support us by serving in our home church, by praying for us, sending us amazing packages, and ultimately giving us roots. Because they are all in one town, serving in our home church...we have a place in Amercia we can call home. I looooooove my family. They deserve a full post...but, I will stop with this just short paragraph...did I say I looooove my family?? :)





Above: my mom and my brother. I can't find a picture of papa Mike and Papa Evert...next time, b/c they're awesome Papas Grandma Bonnie.Aunt Amber, Avery and Emily



I'm getting a little teary-eyed at this thankful writing :), especially when I think about our home church. It's rare to have a real home church who loves you, cares for you, comes to see you and work with you. We have an awesome pastor, youth pastor, and church staff. We are so very thankful for their love, support and prayers. We look around and see that a lot of our fellow workers on the field do not have what we have in a church...oooooh, how grateful I am for Inola First Baptist Church!

Our pastor, youth pastor, Barry Chupp, Mike Bendabout, and others have come out to see us in India and work with us!


Last, I'm thankful for my AWESOME, WONDERFUL HUSBAND! He is not a perfect man...which is what makes him so wonderful...he chose to marry me, and imperfect woman. He is a wonderful father and minister of the Gospel. He loves....LOVES what we do here in India. He's a leader, and a good one. He has big vision of reaching the millions of lost in India...this is one of the main things that attracts me to this wonderful man...his passion for something that really matters. He's not passionate about cars, boats, fishing...whatever most men are passionate about...he is passionate about our God. Most people who know my husband know that he is a serious man, most of the time. I agree...50% of the time he is down to business, but the other 50% is purely devoted to me and the kids, cracking us up, wrestling, watching movies, sharing his thoughts about NBA life (not my favorite topic, but I like his excitement about it...ha,ha). He is encouraging, forgiving, willing to help and serve, open about his faults, he is a confesser (not too proud to admit and confess when he was in the wrong), he never lets the "sun go down" on a disagreement that we may have. He is a great husband!


And yes, of course I am soo thankful for my children..but, you know that if you read my blog...they cover every post with their preciousness. They are little precious beings that I'm ever grateful for. I love those little tiny tots!

4 comments:

Anthony and Sharon said...

A thankful heart is the cure for what ails you...culture shock, materialism, anger, unforgiveness, etc, etc. Thanks for this post...it made me think of all God has given me!

Amber said...

I'm very thankful for you too! What a great post. It took me a while to figure out where in the world that picture of me was taken. Figured it out though...Branson! Wish you were going to be there this year. You need to stay 1 extra week! :(

Lady A said...

i am thankful for the shanks and your beautiful hearts and family. i miss you guys!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

That yard is AWESOME!!!! Adam would love having a basketball goal in his yard! All that space! Awesome! You could have some seriously fun neighborhood game days in that yard!