Today was an interesting day as me and national friend drove to the Red Light District of our city. We decided that we would prayerwalk the area first, before we hope to enter it next week. What we saw, just from the outside of its walls, was unexplainable....however, saying that, I will try to explain what it was like. We got out of the vehicle and began walking. We were right outside the walled area of the brothels...it is literally a walled in area. You can see in it, a little, from the road. As we looked into one of the gates, I saw women of young ages with babies hanging on them, sweaty men looming around them, sewage and garbage all around, filth as far as the eye could see. It was dark and dreary even on a sunny day. The ladies faces were sullen and angry looking. We smiled at some of the ladies that lingered closer to the roadside, and they would smile back. One lady asked us what we were doing walking on that road...I wanted to shout, "I'm praying for you!!" I want that lady's face to never leave my mind...she has no hope of ever leaving that place...BUT, what if...what if there was hope, what if there was a way for her to get out? That's my desire...to give hope to these ladies. I'm not sure what and how that is going to work out...but, it will. Eventually. With prayer and lots of partnering with others.
As we drove home, we just couldn't stop praying. We couldn't get over what we had just seen...and that was during the day time! I can't imagine what that place turns into at night! Lord, help these ladies!
I thought over the many things that I think that I NEED. I need a car, I need air conditioning (or at the very least a wonderful, high powered fan), I need an inverter for when my electricity goes out, I need to go to the salon at least twice a month to "get away" and have time to myself, I need separate bedrooms for my children, I need my computer on at least 2 hours of the day, I need a vacation, I need, I need, I need.... Ugh! I'm sick to my stomach of all my "needs". Imagine if all of your "needs" were taken away? I'm imagining not ever getting a vacation, not ever getting to have time for myself and a little pampering....these ladies never ever get a chance to get away, to have time to themselves, to take a vacation from their horrible, wretched, demeaning job. They are stuck there. How did they get there? Good question...I can't wait to ask them face to face! Were they sold? Were they trafficked across some country border? Were they stolen from their family? Guaranteed not one of them will say that they want to be there, that this is what they chose for their life.
These women are unwanted by the world -- this is why they most likely feel like they could never leave that aweful dark place behind those walls. But, they are wanted by our Lord! Pray for me and those who join me in telling them that we love them, we care for them, but most of all their Creator loves them and WANTS THEM!
If you have any ideas...any suggestions...I need your help!
4 comments:
Wow Kari!! What an amazing thing your doing. It blows my mind!! We'll definitely be praying for you!
Kari,
I don't know, and don't have any solutions-- but women like that are on my mind here a lot too-- I have a college friend who worked with red-light women in Amsterdam a few years back, but I'm not even sure how to contact her now. I know she said it was a really intense, really rough situation to work in on a regular basis. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts, experiences, and any plans/dreams on this issue.
do you have my e-mail address? You could contact me through Facebook if you'd rather. Anyway. This is all very interesting, thanks for sharing about your experiences there.
~Jess
I have written you and this request in my prayer journal. Love you much!
Praying for you!!
It makes me think of the woman at the well. She felt like she was wanted by no one. The moment when Jesus brought to light that she was living with a man that wasn't even her husband - I really think she believed He was going to condemn or ridicule her or even walk away(because that's what everyone else did), but when she looked up Jesus was still their. He loved her. He saw beyond what no one else cared to look beyond. What a moment! What an example of love and compassion!
You are reaching out and taking the first steps. Just follow Jesus' lead.
Post a Comment