Last week three nurses from America came to help me open some doors among the slums and Red Light District in my city. It was such an amazing week - doors were opened that I never expected would...AND two prostitutes came to know the Lord! I am excited about the Lord has in store for this ministry...but, I have to say that working in the Red Light and slums is emotional. There are too many things I want to erase from my memory, too many things that make me stay awake at night, too many burdens to carry--praise the Lord each night I can lay these down at the Father's feet. These women are in His Hands, not mine...praise the Lord!

Beginning the trip...6 months pregnant! :) Phoebe did great--only making me sick a few times :)

On the way to pick the volunteers up...I had an accident. Notice the dent and no mirror?

The volunteers entertaining a large crowd of people wanting medicine...they sang "put your right hand in, take your right hand out..." The crowd loved it!

Just a funny pic...this little pup is cruzin'

These little girls are in a girls home for prostitute children. Their mothers have given them up to a wonderful Christian woman who runs this home in order that the children would escape the brothels.

A children's medical camp...with Susie, one of the volunteers, gathering the kids up.

In one of the slums...this little girl is cleaning her clothes.

This is at the home of Manju, one of the prostitutes who came to Christ a few weeks ago...we held a medical camp there...and this girl that we are talking to came to Christ. The nurse, Paula, saw that her heart rate was high so she asked the girl if she heard the message of Jesus - the girl said yes...and she was ready to recieve HIM...awesome!

Precious...

This is at Manju's sister's house...we held a medical camp in her little neighborhood for pregnant women. Only two pregnant women showed up...and then the rest of the village came! It was a little overwhelming.

Waiting in "line" for some medicine. The baby in the picture has encephalitis...she is in need of surgery in Calcutta. There is no way this family can afford the travel or surgery...so we are starting to raise money for her. If you have any desire to help her...contact us.

This is Manju, with the big smile. She opened her home to have a medical camp...ultimately so people would hear about Christ. She was a "fly" prostitute, which means that she has her own home, she did not work in the brothels...she had clients/networks throughout the city. There are thousands of these "fly" prostitutes in our city. The lady with the red scarf behind her is one who runs a network of these women...she came to meet with me so I could ask her questions about being a fly prostitute (her and 3 others came). Out of this meeting, we decided to meet once a month to talk about the Bible and discuss ways to escape prostitution...they admitted that they want so badly to get out..but don't know how. I am so excited about this opportunity...however, i need the Lord's guidance on what to do. Pray for me and my national partners.

Everyday scene...trash fed cows.

Manju's daughter....she is PRECIOUS! Manju wants to send her to the girl's home that we visited because she (Manju) is sick with HIV and she doesn't have the strength to take care of her.

Paula checking out the patients.

Susie giving some exams.

These little girls are students at the school that Manju now works at called Sweet Home...a school run by believers.

This picture is of a one room place in the slums where a man and his wife got into a fight...the man took petrol and poured it on his wife while she was cooking. She and the little baby she was pregnant with both died. Believe it or not the husband was thrown in jail. However, no one in the slum has cleaned out the room...it is just there for everyone to see every day.

AIDS awareness day. I am in the green talking with some of the ladies that I held a medical camp with a few months ago. This booth is set up right outside the Red Light district wall. They were passing out condoms to all the men walking by.

Anne, one of the media team members who came, was an awesome asset to the team. She has an amazing heart for the women in prostitution.

Loving on some kids...

Pinky (one of my national partners) and I having some fun with the kids waiting to get a medical check up outside of the brothels.

At the girls home...Sneha is one of the workers there. She is precious and so kind to these little girls. She loves on them like they are her own. Pray for her...she is in her early twenties and caring for over 10 little girls.

If I could snag this little girl and take her home with me I would do it. She came to the girl's home from the brothels about 3 months ago. When I first met her she would only go to one person and she was so scared of everything. Months later...she came to me and let me hug on her and love on her as much as I wanted. She is Hannah's age...which makes me want her all the more. Pray for these little girls...there is no telling what their little eyes have seen as they were in the brothels, or what they have been through. Pray that the Lord would erase their memory of that place and give them only sweet memories and a bright future.
4 comments:
Kari, thank you so much for sharing these stories and pictures. I've been reading through "Escaping the Devil's Bedroom" and the Father keeps bringing you to mind. It's such a joy to see these things unfold and imagine what He has in store for you and for each precious woman and child. Press on!
Girl! This is incredible!! Thanks so so much for sharing. Know that many people over here are praying for you and your work.
Wow! What a great story to share... brings praise to my lips to our God and inspires my heart to seek out the needy around me.
...um...how did I not know you were pregnant again? Little girl? Pheobe did I catch? Congrats and sorry I'm late on the well-wishes! When are you due? Lots of love FROM ASIA (we're baaack!)
Wow! I'm amazed at all you're doing, and pregnant too! How did you get involved in this, and how often do you go? Is it far from your house? This year one of our goals is to get me out more doing something like this... trying to get ideas. :)
Post a Comment