Sunday, December 14, 2008

Just a little update on us...






A professor, and wonderful friend/mentor/pastor, of ours asked us to send him a picture of our family's feet. Nathan or I neither one have very wondeful, beautiful feet...but, we just loved this picture because of our little Hannah's feet. She loved taking this picture. She thought it was so funny that we were all looking down at our feet. The purpose of the picture was for our Lottie Moon Christmas offering--our pastor is using the theme "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring Good News." I'm not sure our feet will encourage people to give, but we pray that the Lord will spur in peoples hearts to give generously this Christmas season.





Lately we haven't really shared much about the family and friends that we have around us here in Shillong. So, below I have posted a few pics of Hannah and her friends. I have told you once before that there is a family who lives below us, they help us sooo much in our ministry and home. The wife, Apee, is Hannah's "nanny". She watches Hannah literally whenever I need her to...this is such a HUGE blessing. The little girl below with Hannah is Rindhar--she used to be Hannah's closest friend, but they are now moving on to more age-appropriate friends. Hannah is hanging out more with the two year old, Jamie, and the 4 year old, Yum-yum. This has been really interesting b/c they don't speak English--so, Hannah is picking up even more of their tribal language. For about a month now she points at pictures of Nathan and says what sounds like "popa"...but, when Apee saw her do this, she laughed and said she is saying "apa" (the word for Father in their language). While we are on the topic of language--this morning Hannah looked at me right about the time she was going to touch the computer and starting shaking her head "no" and said "no tut...no tut" (no touch). She's finally learning not to touch the computer...victory!!!
Below: When it is freezing cold outside and I really don't want to take Hannah out...well, this is what happens: Yum-yum comes and stands at the window, while Hannah looks out at her and starts crying because I won't let her go out and play. Poor little girls. Yum-Yum is completely allowed to come in, but her parents tell her she can't because they are afraid she will bother us. It's actually a huge help to have a 4 year old running around the house--Hannah stays completely occupied!
Below: The night we put up our new Christmas tree we had our family from down stairs come up to share the moment with us. They each put on ornaments...they children loved it. We had Christmas music playing and it just felt really Christmasy (not sure how to spell that!). We also had to young ladies from the states who were with us for a few days. They are working in an extremely difficult place here and we were able to have them out to Shillong (not so difficult) to share some great food and Christmas spirit with them. They truly blessed us by coming out...it was fun girl time for me!
Below: Hugging Jamie. Hannah is now in the wonderful phase of showing affection. She doesn't show it to just anyone though...she STILL won't let the ladies on our path touch her. But she freely gives Jamie and Nathan and I hugs. She loves to say "bye, bye..."and wave. And it is especially funny when she is ready for someone to leave our house or if she is ready to leave somewhere she will start saying it over and over and over! She is also blowing kisses. I love this!
Below: Hannah and I buying veggies...she's not too excited about it. This veg market is just a great two minute walk from our house...it's not the cleanest place ever, but it sure is convenient.



4 comments:

Ryan and Amber said...

You cut your hair off! I love it!!! The picture are all great. Thanks for sharing your world with us!

Emily said...

I love your haircut. You look beautiful as always! What a great idea to have your neighbors help you decorate the tree...I feel silly now that I never thought to do that. Ah well. I liked this post a lot!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

What's the story on the last picture? Fun! Your hair looks awesome :)
I love feet pics - that one is really cute! We just took one the other day for some WMU ladies - I'll have to post mine :) fun!
Aashini is starting to understand "no" more now... she'll point at something she's not allowed to touch and say "no!" or she'll throw food off of her high chair and say "no!" haha!
Great post - lots of fun!

Parker Family said...

Kari...I love your hair cut..where did you get it done?? I had mine cut off here too last week. I love it. We miss you, are praying for you and LOVE you.
Kristin